What we do
Energising London aims to promote energy efficiency, use of renewable energy and water conservation across all 33 London Boroughs, piloting innovative behaviour change mechanisms with domestic and commercial consumers.
Learning from pilot projects is being shared through a range of tailored services for 'Learner Network' members. Members represent professionals promoting a range of pro-environmental behaviours across the capital.
Energising London is:
- Opening Windows on Climate Change: this project aims to support and empower communities in London to measure their carbon reduction and lead ‘greener’ and ‘healthier’ lives through long-term behaviour change.
- Running pilot projects, supporting the Mayor's Low Carbon Zones, in the London Borough's of Haringey, Westminster and Richmond-upon-Thames. Using methods including social marketing we are building intelligence around practical ways to help householders and businesses make enduring changes.
- Supporting business networks, housing associations and schools to engage their communities on sustainability and promote measures that reduce energy and water use.
- Developing a toolkit for the third sector organisations to help them to reduce their environmental impacts.
- Hosting a comprehensive series of events for our Learner Network. In the last year we have held events on the following topics: behaviour change and social marketing, sustainable consumption and production, climate change and the public sector estates and sustainable schools.
What our communities told us:
- Use existing local networks and trusted sources
- Use alternative 'ways in', using values and emotions that people care about such as health, education, children or religion
- Exemplifying is important, from local community mentors and local businesses to higher profile, national role models
- Build on what's already going on - such as community initiatives and local events - rather than starting a new initiative
- Use practical demonstrations and local examples - visits, local videos - rather than 'telling' people
What did we do:
- Engaged 3,485 people directly and 6,680 indirectly
- In 3 Low Carbon Zones we achieved notional 32% energy and 14% water reductions, saving 1,767 tonnes of CO2 and 13,599m3 of water
- Over 1,300 people attended our events and 86.1% rated their learning as 'good', 'very good' or 'excellent'
- Delivery teams supported the Mayor's Low Carbon Zones to engage communities in energy and water saving, inspiring people to change their behaviour
- Toolkits, tailored advice and workshops enabled businesses, housing associations and schools across London to reduce their environmental impacts
- Events and e-bulletins enabled our Energising London Learner Network of over 1,200 environmental practitioners and stakeholders to share tools, tips and best practice
Read more about our achievements and case studies across London here.
- Previously we have pioneered new approaches, such as reaching Hindu and Muslim communities, influencing people at key life changes and engaged children as change agents.
- Produced toolkits:
Energising London builds on LSx’s Motivate London project, which completed in June 2008. Learn more about what Motivate London achieved.
LSx has been awarded a grant from London Councils to run Energising London from 2008 to 2012. London Councils is committed to fighting for more resources for London and getting the best possible deal for London's 33 councils. London Councils has a website about its grants service. To read about the grants funding and the work of some of the 300 groups they support please visit www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/grants.